Vegan Spicy Mushroom Quinoa
Try out this delicious vegan, one-pot recipe featuring roasted portabella mushrooms and tomato garlic sauce from @theglobalvegetarian.
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 1/4 cup finely chopped white Onions
- 3–4 cloves Garlic finely sliced
- 1/2–1 Serrano/jalapeños pepper finely chopped
- 3–4 large White mushrooms finely chopped
- 1/3 cup Spring onions finely chopped
- 2/3 cup Quinoa
- 2/3 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Almond milk
- 1/2 cup veg stock
- 1 tsp salt as per taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1–2 tsp Chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 3 tbsp chopped Parsley
- 1 tbsp Butter/olive oil
Roasted Portabella Mushrooms:
- 2 Portobello mushrooms heads
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 1/2 tbsp Olive oil
- 1/2 –2/3 cup tomato sauce (homemade or store bought)
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
Slice the mushrooms into slices. I sliced one head into approx 6-8 slices. You don’t want to slice it too thin since it will cook down in the oven.
Toss the slices with salt, pepper and olive oil. Place them on a parchment lined baking tray.
Cook them in the oven for 20-25 mins till crispy. Make sure to flip them over midway.
- Wash and drain your quinoa as per package instructions.
In a saucepan add butter/olive oil on medium heat. Add garlic and cook it for 3-4 mins till it starts getting translucent.
Add onions and cook them for 3-4 mins till it starts sweating.
Add mushrooms and cook it for 4-6 mins till it starts releasing water.
When the water (from the mushrooms) start drying up add the Serranos and green onions and cook.
Add the salt, pepper, chili flakes and oregano along with the washed quinoa and mix it in. Cook it for 2-4 mins.
Add the liquids- water, veg stock and milk and mix it in.
Let it cook on low-medium heat and let it come for a boil. Stir it frequently.
Once it comes to a boil, put it on low and cover the pan with a lid. Let it cook for 8-10 mins on low till the quinoa cooks. Stir in between as needed.
Add in the chopped parsley once the quinoa is cooked and mix it in.
The quinoa is ready!
- Plate the quinoa on a plate as a circle and make a slight well in the middle.
- Fill the well with the sauce and top with roasted portabella.
- Top with parsley and optional Parmesan shavings.