Basic Mushroom Meat Blend
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 pound white button mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground beef, pork, turkey or chicken
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- Place a 12-inch frying pan over medium heat and add oil.
- Once the oil is warm, add the mushrooms and stir to coat.
- Add half the salt to the mushrooms and cook, stirring occasionally, until most of the moisture has evaporated (8 to 10 minutes).
- Add the ground meat and remaining salt. Stir well to break up the meat and sauté until the meat is cooked through, about another 10 minutes. Add water as needed if mixture is dry.
Use in recipes as you would use ground meat.
If you like this, try these:
Make better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch by adding the nutrition and flavor of sauteed mushrooms with this recipe from Serena Ball, MS, RD.view Recipe
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor.view Recipe
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!view Recipe