Blended Mushroom and Bison Shawarma Bowls
These bowls use a blend of mushrooms and lean ground bison for a satisfying meal. Paired with grains and fresh vegetables, the dish is full of shawarma spices that are cooled by a tangy yogurt tahini sauce.
- 1 cup canned chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 ½ teaspoons fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon smoked paprika
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 2 ounces shiitake mushrooms
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 lb. ground bison
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon coriander
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- Pinch ground cinnamon
- Pinch ground clove
- ¾ cup dry white or red bulgur, cooked according to package directions
- 2 medium tomatoes, sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1 Persian cucumber, sliced (about 5 inches long)
- ½ cup black olives, halved
Yogurt Tahini Sauce
- ½ cup plain whole milk Greek yogurt
- 2 tablespoons tahini (no salt added)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- Toss the chickpeas with ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon of smoked paprika. Heat a medium skillet over medium-high. Add the chickpeas to the dry skillet, cook, tossing or stirring often for 3 to 4 minutes, until the edges of chickpeas show signs of browning. Set aside.
- Add the crimini mushrooms and shiitake mushrooms to a food processor. Pulse in 10 second intervals until all the mushrooms are finely chopped into similar sized pieces.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 minutes as the they turn from redish-brown to a dull light brown. Add the bison and stir well to break it up as it cooks. Cook for about 6 more minutes. Browning will deepen and no signs of pink should remain.
- Reduce the heat to low. Stir in 1 teaspoon of salt, ¼ teaspoon of black pepper, cumin, coriander, garlic powder, turmeric, cayenne, cinnamon, and clove. Cook for one more minute. Remove from the heat.
- Stir the remaining ¼ teaspoon of salt and black pepper into the bulgur. Divide the bulgur into 4 bowls. Top each with an equal amount of blended mushrooms and bison. Then add an equal amount of chickpeas. Divide the tomatoes, red onion, cucumber slices, and olives among the four bowls.
- Make the sauce by stirring together the yogurt and tahini in a medium bowl. Next, stir in the remaining ingredients. Add a spoonful of the sauce to each bowl and serve.
If you like this, try these:
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor.view Recipe
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!view Recipe