Blended Thai-Style Lettuce Cups
These Thai-inspired lettuce cups are bursting with umami flavor from mushrooms blended with ground meat, fresh flavors from the carrots and lettuce and a perfectly sprinkling of salt from peanuts.
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces crimini mushrooms or white button mushrooms, cleaned and roughly chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces ground chicken
- 2 tablespoons packed brown sugar
- 1/2 lime, juiced, plus lime wedges, for serving
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 carrot, cut into 1/8-inch matchsticks
- 1 green onions, thinly sliced, for garnish
- Chopped roasted peanuts, for garnish, optional
- 1 small head bibb lettuce, leaves separated
- Heat oil in large skillet or wok over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms, and cook, stirring occasionally, until light golden-brown, about 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in bell peppers and cook for 2 minutes. Add chicken and cook, breaking up into small crumbles with a wooden spoon, until fully cooked and golden-brown, about 8 minutes.
- Stir in brown sugar, lime juice, fish sauce and salt, and cook until coated, about 1 minute. Remove skillet from heat.
- Layer mushroom mixture, carrots, green onions and peanuts in lettuce leaves. Serve with lime wedges, and enjoy.