Chicken & Dumplings with Mushrooms
A winning recipe for any occasion, whether it’s the big game or a holiday mixer. This queso is filled with a blend of savory beef, meaty mushrooms and creamy cheese. Serve it warm with tortilla chips for dipping.
- 6 ounces crimini mushrooms
- 1/4 pound 80-percent lean ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons diced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup whole milk
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- 4 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded (about 1 1/2 cups)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Add mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or finely dice by hand if preferred). Blend ground beef and mushrooms in a medium bowl. Stir in salt, garlic powder, paprika and pepper. Cook in a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat until beef is no longer pink, 6 to 7 minutes.
- Transfer meat and mushrooms to a bowl. Reserve 2 tablespoons.
- Add olive oil to the skillet and return the heat to medium-high. Add onion and garlic. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Reduce heat to medium and whisk in flour. Continue whisk, until a dry, crumbly paste forms.
- Slowly add the milk as you keep whisking rapidly. Whisk and cook for about one minute as the milk begins to bubble and thicken. Stir in the cheese a handful at a time, allowing each addition to melt before adding the next. Turn the heat up slightly if necessary to keep the cheese melting.
- Lastly stir in beef and mushroom blend. Sprinkle the top of the queso with the reserved 2 tablespoons blended mixture and cilantro before serving warm.