Egg and Mushroom Sandwiches on Sourdough
Sautéed mushrooms make a basic egg sandwich more delicious and filling! In this recipe, toasted sourdough is topped with mushrooms, onions, and a fried egg. A few sprigs of arugula add an earthy, peppery touch of flavor.
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ large yellow onion, sliced
- 8 ounces sliced white button mushrooms
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Pinch ground black pepper
- 8 slices sourdough, toasted
- 4 large eggs, fried to your preferences
- ½ cup arugula leaves
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, cook until it softens and just begins to show signs of browning, about 5 minutes. Add the mushrooms and cook until browned and tender, and most of the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Stir in the salt and pepper.
- For each sandwich, top the bottom slice of toasted bread with mushrooms and onions. Place an egg over the mushrooms. Add a few leaves of arugula and add the top slice of bread. Serve warm.
If you like this, try these:
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe
This easy soup is loaded with hearty oyster mushrooms and filling potatoes. The broth is smooth and buttery, but not too heavy making it a great option for a light lunch.view Recipe