Egg Drop Soup
This classic Egg Drop Soup is easy and tastes even better than the restaurant version.
Recipe courtesy of American Egg Board.
- 1 gallon chicken broth
- 14 ounces egg whites* (12 eggs)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 6 ounces (2 cups) trimmed and sliced shiitake mushrooms
- 2 ounces (1/2 cup) chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- In stock pot over medium heat, bring chicken broth to a simmer. Slowly stir in egg whites. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Heat through until whites are thoroughly cooked.
- To serve, portion about 1/2 ounce shiitakes, 2 teaspoons green onions and 1 teaspoon cilantro into a soup bowl. Pour 1 1/2 cups eggs and broth into each bowl. Serve immediately.
*If using frozen or liquid egg white product.
Do not let uncooked egg mixture remain at room temperature for longer than one hour (including preparation and service time).
If you like this, try these:
The combination of crimini and white button mushrooms add earthy notes that work well with the rich broth.
Create a comforting lunch to-go with ramen in a jar! Earthy shiitake mushrooms and noodles in a rich broth will brighten your lunchtime and fill you up for the afternoon. You can choose any of your favorite Asian-style noodles, but ramen or yakisoba work especially well in this recipe.view Recipe