Farfalle with Walnut-Tarragon Pesto, Crimini Mushrooms and Peas
Meaty crimini mushrooms and sweet petite peas are the perfect complement to the decadent walnut-tarragon pesto in this hearty vegetarian pasta dish.
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 16 ounce package farfalle (bow-tie shaped) pasta
- 16 ounces crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup frozen petite spring peas, thawed
- 1 cup raw walnuts, lightly tasted in a dry skillet
- 2 cups loosely packed parsley (some stems are fine)
- 1/2 cup fresh parmeggiano-reggiano cheese chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh tarragon leaves
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1 peeled garlic clove
- 1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- Cook farfalle according to package instructions. Be sure to liberally salt the water. Drain and reserve a cup of pasta water.
- In a large skillet, saute the mushrooms in 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium-high heat until golden brown. Add a couple of pinches of sea salt and some freshly ground black pepper when they are near done. Turn off heat, add cooked farfalle and set aside.
- Make the pesto by first adding the garlic clove and Parmesan cheese to a food processor. Pulse until crumbly, then add walnuts. Pulse again to smaller crumbles, making sure garlic is well incorporated. The add parsley, tarragon and thyme. Blend until herbs are finely minced in with the cheese and walnuts. Add the lemon juice and with the processor running, slowly drizzle in 1/2 cup of olive oil. Check the seasoning and add some pepper and a pinch or two of salt to taste.
- Add the pesto, 1/4 cup at a time, and the thawed peas to the skillet. Toss and add a little bit of pasta water to thin the pesto. Add more pesto if desired, toss again, and thin with pasta water as necessary. Serve with a wedge of Parmesan cheese to grate fresh over the top.
- Serving Size: 1 cup pasta and 1 cup vegetables
- Calories: 510
- Sodium: 100 milligrams
- Fat: 30 grams
- Saturated Fat: 4.5 grams
- Carbohydrates: 50 grams
- Fiber: 4 grams
- Protein: 14 grams
- Cholesterol: 5 milligrams