Green Chile Queso with Blended Chorizo and Mushrooms
Cheesy, spicy, and savory queso featuring The Blend!
- 1/3 lb spicy chorizo
- 4 oz. crimini mushrooms (about ½ package)
- 1 tbsp oil or butter
- 1 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 ½ cups whole milk
- 3 cups shredded cheese (we used havarti and mozzarella)
- 4 oz green chiles (canned or frozen)
- Seasonings like chile powder, smoked paprika, garlic powder, black pepper, and a little salt
- Green onions or cilantro (for garnish)
- Roughly chop the mushrooms to match the texture of the chorizo. Start with high heat and brown the chorizo, adding the chopped mushrooms after a few minutes. Cook until the chorizo is fully done, then transfer to a bowl.
- Drop the heat to medium and make a roux using the oil or butter and flour. Heat the oil then sprinkle in the flour and incorporate it into a slurry. Stir constantly until it becomes light caramel in color. Then reduce the heat to low and add in the milk.
- This next step is key to avoiding a grainy or gritty cheese sauce. Go slow! As the milk starts to heat up, add the cheese a little at a time. As it melts into the sauce, add a little more, stirring the whole time to avoid scalding. Finally, stir in the green chiles, spices, and 1/2 of the Blended Chorizo. Spoon the other half on top, garnish with some green onions and cilantro.
- Serve this up with your favorite tortilla chips!
Tip: For a smaller crowd, save leftovers to reheat later or cut the recipe in half.
If you like this, try these:
One of our most flavorful burgers yet! Combine Mexican chorizo, beef and mushrooms for an umami-packed burger.view Recipe
Put a spin on a fast food fave by incorporating a blend of ground beef and crimini mushrooms to take the flavor to the next level.
Cheesy, spicy, and savory queso using The Blend!view Recipe