Grilled Portabella Burgers with Garlic MayoPrint
These portabella mushrooms are marinated in a homemade barbecue spice mix and grilled until tender. When served, they are loaded up with sweet grilled red onions and savory garlic and chive mayonnaise.
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dark or light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 portabella mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon chopped chives
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 small red onion, sliced (keep rings intact)
- 4 buns
- 4 lettuce leaves
- Olive oil for grilling
- Mix all marinade ingredients in a small bowl. Place mushrooms on a baking sheet. Drizzle marinade over mushrooms and rub liberally to coat all sides. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill to high heat.
- To make garlic mayo, stir together mayonnaise, chives, garlic powder and salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Brush grill grate with olive oil. Place mushrooms and onion rings on grill. Cook for 5 to 7 minutes on each side, until both are darkened and tender.
- To serve, spread bottom of each bun with mayonnaise, top with lettuce and a few onion rings. Add mushroom and cover with top bun.
If you like this, try these:
Portabella mushrooms transform into an easy-to-make, craveable snack with this jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RDN.view Recipe
Flavorful black beans, quinoa, spicy peppers and onions are stuffed into large mushroom caps to make this delicious weeknight meal.view Recipe