Lion’s Mane Mushroom “Crab” Cakes
Try this twist on a classic Crab Cake recipe featuring Lion’s Mane mushrooms!
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
8 ounces Lion’s Mane mushroom
2 tablespoons mayo
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 large egg
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1/4 cup diced sweet onions
1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh parsley plus more for garnish
1 1/2 teaspoons Old Bay seasoning
1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
Salt and pepper to taste
1/3 cup panko breadcrumbs
2 tablespoons olive oil for pan frying
Lemon wedges and tartar sauce for serving
- Shred the Lion’s Mane mushroom to resemble lump crab meat. Transfer them to a large skillet with 2 tablespoons of water and pinch of salt.
- Cook the mushrooms over medium heat, covered, stirring occasionally, for 5-10 minutes until all the water from the mushrooms has released. Set aside and allow the mushrooms to cool.
- In a large bowl, add mayo, Dijon mustard, egg, Worcestershire sauce, onions, parsley, Old Bay seasoning, smoked paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix until combined. Set aside.
- Once the Lion’s Mane has cooled, strain/squeeze out any excess moisture from the mushrooms. This will help avoid any soggy crab cakes.
- Fold the mushrooms into the mixture until well combined. Stir in the panko breadcrumbs then form the mixture into 4 patties that are 1/2-inch thick. Set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat olive oil at medium heat. Pan fry the patties for 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Serve with lemon wedges and tartar sauce. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!