Mushroom, Asparagus and Goat Cheese Tart
A flaky pastry crust is filled with seasoned eggs, fresh asparagus, creamy goat cheese and a roasted medley of mushrooms. The use of pre-made puff pastry makes this tart easy to put together for a weekend lunch or quick appetizer.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound fresh mixed mushrooms (crimini, shiitake, oyster)
- one 17.3 ounce package frozen puff pastry, thawed overnight in refrigerator
- 2 large eggs
- ½ tablespoon Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2–3 ounces softened goat cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 15 asparagus spears, ends trimmed
- 1 ounce goat cheese, crumbled (for topping)
- In a large pan add olive oil. Cook mushrooms over medium-high heat for 5-8 minutes, or until moisture has been released.
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out both pastry sheets. Transfer to parchment-lined baking sheet. Fold over edges all around pastry sheet to make a raised crust.
- In a small bowl whisk together eggs, Italian herbs, salt, pepper, softened goat cheese and milk. Divide mixture between both pastry crusts.
- Place asparagus spears across the top of egg mixture. Spoon cooked mushrooms over asparagus. Crumble remaining goat cheese evenly over entire tart. If desired, brush the crust with egg wash*.
- Bake tart for 20-25 minutes or until eggs are set, asparagus is tender, and crust is golden.
Serve warm or cooled.
*Tip: Brushing the crust with an egg wash will produce a nicely browned crust with a slightly glossy finish. To make egg wash simply whisk together 1 (one) large egg and 1 tablespoon of water until frothy. Use a pastry brush to apply egg wash to crust.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe