Oyster Mushroom Toast with Black Pepper Ricotta and Lemon Dressed Microgreens
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.
- 2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup multi-colored small cherry tomatoes (about 20 tomatoes)
- ¾ cup microgreens
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons peppery finishing olive oil such as Arbequina
- 10 slices baguette, lightly toasted
- Stir together the ricotta, chives, 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the toasts.
- Heat the 2 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 90 seconds, stirring often. It will brown a bit in the oil as it softens. Add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms darken and shrink. Add the tomatoes, continue to cook stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to burst and the mushrooms are tender. If you have some larger tomatoes mixed in, pricking them with a fork will help them to burst.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Transfer the microgreens to a small bowl. Toss with the lemon juice, finishing olive oil, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
If you like this, try these:
Sheet Pan Mushroom Fajitas from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD are a Mexican-inspired one-pan meal that’s simple, delicious, and nutritious for the entire family to enjoy.view Recipe
Mushrooms will become your new favorite snack with this vegetarian jerky recipe from Chelsey Amer, MS, RD!view Recipe
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe