Oyster Mushroom Toast with Black Pepper Ricotta and Lemon Dressed Microgreens
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.
- 2/3 cup whole milk ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small shallot, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces oyster mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1 cup multi-colored small cherry tomatoes (about 20 tomatoes)
- ¾ cup microgreens
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons peppery finishing olive oil such as Arbequina
- 10 slices baguette, lightly toasted
- Stir together the ricotta, chives, 1/8 teaspoon fine sea salt, and ¼ teaspoon of the black pepper in a medium bowl. Cover and set in the refrigerator until ready to assemble the toasts.
- Heat the 2 ½ tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the shallot and cook for 90 seconds, stirring often. It will brown a bit in the oil as it softens. Add the mushrooms. Cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often, until the mushrooms darken and shrink. Add the tomatoes, continue to cook stirring constantly, for about 3 minutes, until the tomatoes begin to burst and the mushrooms are tender. If you have some larger tomatoes mixed in, pricking them with a fork will help them to burst.
- Remove from the heat and stir in ¼ teaspoon salt and the remaining ¼ teaspoon of black pepper.
- Transfer the microgreens to a small bowl. Toss with the lemon juice, finishing olive oil, and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon of salt.
If you like this, try these:
Rich oyster mushrooms are combined with creamy ricotta and sweet cherry tomatoes in these bite-size toasts. The microgreens sprinkled on top add a burst of refreshing lemon flavor that balances the pleasant earthiness of the mushrooms for an appetizer or snack that is both beautifully presented and delicious.view Recipe
This recipe provides a meat-free twist on the traditional Korean dish. Finely chopped enoki mushrooms absorb the sweet and savory flavors of the marinade and pair well with the combination sautéed greens and crisp fresh cucumber to create a filling meal.view Recipe