Portabella and Halloumi ‘Burgers’
Swap your bread for mushrooms and fill with cheese for a low-carb, vegetarian option that’s sure to satisfy even the heartiest of appetites.
Create A List
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 4 portabella mushroom caps with stems removed
- 3 1/2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 thin slices halloumi
- 2 thick slices tomato
- Sea salt and pepper
- 1 handful basil leaves
- Heat grill to medium-high heat (about 450 degrees), wash mushroom caps, then, in a shallow bowl, combine the balsamic vinegar and olive oil, and place mushrooms gill-side down in the mixture
- When the grill is hot, grill the mushrooms on the gill side first for about five minutes, or until they start to sweat, then flip and grill two to three minutes more
- Add halloumi to the grill, then grill two minutes on each side over relatively high heat until grill marks form on the cheese and it becomes soft and pliable, then sprinkle salt and pepper onto the tomato to taste
- Assemble the “burger” with the mushroom as the bun, the halloumi cheese as the burger, the lightly salted tomato, and fresh basil leaves, then wrap, and serve hot.
- Serving Size: 1 garnished "burger" (2 portabella caps and 1 slice halloumi cheese)
- Calories: 260
- Sodium: 75 milligrams
- Fat: 20 grams
- Saturated Fat: 6 grams
- Carbohydrates: 13 grams
- Fiber: 3 grams
- Protein: 9 grams
- Cholesterol: 15 milligrams