Revisit your childhood with the retro flavors of a sloppy joe made with more nutritious whole foods including mushrooms.
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 2 cups coleslaw blend
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 coleslaw dressing
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- Toss the coleslaw with the green onion and dressing until well combined; set aside. Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the ground beef and pulse until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture and seasoning blend. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve on rolls topped with coleslaw.
Did you make this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us — we can’t wait to see what you’ve made!