Revisit your childhood with the retro flavors of a sloppy joe made with more nutritious whole foods including mushrooms.
- 2 cups coleslaw blend
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
- 1/2 coleslaw dressing
- 8 ounces fresh button mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3/4 pound lean ground beef
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 4 whole-wheat hamburger rolls
- Toss the coleslaw with the green onion and dressing until well combined; set aside. Place the mushrooms and onion in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Add the ground beef and pulse until well combined.
- Heat the oil in a large nonstick skillet set over medium heat. Add the mushroom mixture and seasoning blend. Cook for 10 minutes or until browned and the liquid has evaporated. Stir in the tomato sauce, brown sugar, vinegar and Worcestershire sauce. Simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Serve on rolls topped with coleslaw.
If you like this, try these:
One of our most flavorful burgers yet! Combine Mexican chorizo, beef and mushrooms for an umami-packed burger.view Recipe
Put a spin on a fast food fave by incorporating a blend of ground beef and crimini mushrooms to take the flavor to the next level.
Cheesy, spicy, and savory queso using The Blend!view Recipe