Three Mushroom and Garlic Grilled Pizza
Fire up the grill for this decadent pizza! It’s topped with a creamy garlic sauce and a touch of fragrant basil. A flavorful mix of crimini, shiitake, and white button mushrooms are sautéed in a crisp, dry white wine before they are layered on the pizza with mozzarella cheese. The final result is a delicious reason to take the cooking outside regardless of the weather.
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 basil leaves, minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup half and half
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 ounces crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 3 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
- 3 ounces white button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 ounce dry white wine or chicken stock
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt
- Dough for a 14-inch pizza
- 4 ounces whole milk mozzarella cheese, chopped
- Shaved Parmesan for garnish
- Basil leaves for garnish
- Olive oil
- Preheat the grill to high heat, about 425 degrees F.
- To make the sauce, melt the butter in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Whisk in the garlic and basil and cook for one minute. Sprinkle in the flour as you whisk quickly. A paste will form.
- Reduce the heat to medium. Slowly pour in the half and half as you continue to whisk. Continue until there are no longer any clumps. Increase the heat slightly to bring to a simmer. Stir as it thickens into a sauce. This will happen quickly, in about a minute or so. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Parmesan, salt, and pepper, and set aside.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook until they begin to turn tender, about 2 minutes. Carefully pour in the wine or stock and continue to cook until the liquid evaporates, about 1 minute. Sprinkle with the salt.
- Stretch the dough to make about a 14-inch pizza, either a circle or oval. Brush the grill grate generously with olive oil. Place the dough on grill and let cook about 3 minutes, until the underside is browned and removes easily from the grill. As you remove the dough from the grill, flip it onto a baking sheet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray so that the cooked side is up.
- Spread the sauce over the pizza and evenly cover in mushrooms. Next add the mozzarella cheese.
- Return the pizza to the grill, topping-side up. Close the lid and let cook for 3 to 5 more minutes watching it closely. Once the top crust browns and the cheese melts and begins to bubble it is ready. Let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Garnish with Parmesan and basil leaves, and slice to serve.
Cooking time: 10 minutes | Grilling time: 10 minutes
If you like this, try these:
Add a creative twist to your meal with these vegetarian scallops made from trumpet mushrooms. The mushroom scallops are browned and cooked until tender. A drizzle of nutty, caramelized brown butter and vibrant thyme send them over the top!view Recipe
These mushrooms get a kick of spicy flavor from homemade chili oil! They can be served over grilled steaks or roasted poultry to add earthy heat to a special dinner.view Recipe