Turkey & Mushroom BBQ Stuffed Sweet Potatoes
This recipe uses a blend of lean ground turkey and white button mushrooms to create a hearty filling for tender sweet potatoes. Skip the oven and simply microwave the potatoes until tender for a quick dinner. Pair with a simple salad for a meal.
- 4 large sweet potatoes, about 1 pound each
- 16 ounces white button mushrooms
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups prepared barbecue sauce
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 4 green onions, white and green portion sliced
- Pierce potatoes in several places with a fork and cook in the microwave according to your unit’s instructions, 13 to 15 minutes, until fork-tender. Let sit until cool enough to handle.
- Add mushrooms to the bowl of a food processor and pulse until finely chopped (or finely dice by hand if preferred). Blend ground turkey and mushrooms in a large bowl.
- Preheat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the turkey and mushrooms. Cook, stirring often, until it begins to brown, about 5 minutes. Add onion. Continue to cook, until the turkey is browned and no longer pink, about 7 more minutes. Drain excess liquid.
- Add barbecue sauce and stir until heated through, about 2 minutes. Cut each sweet potato in half lengthwise. Place cut-side up on a baking sheet. Use a fork to mash some of the potato and move to the sides to create a space for the filling. Spoon barbecue filling into each of the 8 potato halves. Sprinkle with an equal amount of cheese.
- Broil on high for five minutes, until cheese is browned and bubbling. Serve warm.
This recipe makes enough for eight servings. Depending on how many servings you need, consider cooking only two potatoes and refrigerating the rest of the filling for a meal later in the week. It will keep for up to three days and makes delicious sandwiches, or use the filling to top a dinner salad.
If you like this, try these:
Make better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch by adding the nutrition and flavor of sauteed mushrooms with this recipe from Serena Ball, MS, RD.view Recipe
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor.view Recipe
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!view Recipe