“As a chef, I love using fresh ingredients to create delicious and memorable meals for my guests, friends and family. For this reason, I choose to use mushrooms when cooking not only for their delicious flavor, but also because I feel that I have a responsibility to preserve our food source by incorporating sustainable ingredients like mushrooms. I am a blenditarian because blending mushrooms with wagyu beef allows me to create a healthy, delicious and sustainable burger.” – Chef Amir Hajimaleki
Shop for Ingredients
Make a list for the store or order online.
- 1/2 pound butter
- 8 cups yellow onions, finely chopped
- 10 cups shiitake mushrooms, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons thyme
- 1/2 cup mirin
- 1 cup sake
- 2 cups soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger, minced
Japanese Island Sauce
- 1/4 cup egg yolk
- 1 cup rice bran oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1 tablespoon yuzo kosho
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cane syrup or agave syrup
- 10 pounds ground wagyu beef
- Umami Mix (above)
- Japanese Island Sauce (above)
- Pickled bok choy
- Cucumber, thinly sliced
Délice de Bourgogne cheese
- UMAMI MIX: In sauté pan over medium heat, cook butter until it turns brown in color. Add onions and sauté until translucent. Mix in mushrooms and sauté until tender and cooked down, about 5 minutes. Add thyme, mirin, sake, soy sauce, garlic and ginger, and simmer on low heat until excess liquid is absorbed. Transfer to sheet pan and let cool in refrigerator.
- JAPANESE ISLAND SAUCE: Place all ingredients except for rice bran oil into food processor. Gently pulse ingredients while slowly pouring oil through the feed tube. Continue to mix until the sauce has a smooth, velvety consistency.
- BURGER: In a large bowl, combine the ground beef and Umami mix until well incorporated. Divide mixture into 6-ounce patties and grill to desired doneness. Once cooked, place patties onto fresh, toasted Hawaiian bistro buns. Top with Japan Island Sauce, pickled bok choy, sliced cucumber and Délice de Bourgogne cheese.
Did you make this recipe?
Share a photo and tag us — we can’t wait to see what you’ve made!