Blended Al Pastor Tacos with Pineapple Jalapeno Slaw
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor. Each taco is topped with a sweet and tangy coleslaw made with pineapple and bits of spicy pickled jalapenos.
- 8 ounces white button mushrooms
- ½ pound ground pork
- 2 tablespoons pineapple juice
- ½ tablespoon chili powder
- ½ tablespoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon fine sea salt, or more to taste
- ¼ teaspoon chipotle chile powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground oregano
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 8 small corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 cups thinly shredded cabbage
- 2 green onions, sliced
- ½ cup diced pineapple
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon diced pickled jalapenos
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon pineapple juice
- ¼ teaspoon fine sea salt, or to taste
- Add the mushrooms to a food processor. Pulse in 10 second intervals until the mushrooms are finely chopped into pieces of similar size.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high. Add the mushrooms and cook until they just begin to soften, 2 minutes. Add the pork. Continue to cook for 7 to 10 minutes, until the meat is no longer pink and cooked completely through. Turn off the heat. All liquid should evaporate. If it doesn’t, drain the blend.
- Stir in the pineapple juice, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, paprika, salt, chipotle chili powder, oregano, and black pepper. Return the heat to medium and cook for 1 more minute, stirring often.
- To make the slaw, stir together all ingredients in a large bowl.
- For each taco, top a warm tortilla with the al pastor mushroom and pork blend. Top with some slaw before serving.
If you like this, try these:
Make this Bánh Mì Blended Burger from Alison Fagan, winner of the professional category in the 2021 Food Network Blended Burger Contest.view Recipe
“Oyster mushrooms have an uncanny resemblance to chicken in taste and texture, making them perfect for this take on buffalo chicken in a burger.” – 2021 Blended Burger Contest Winner Wendy Tienview Recipe