Slow Cooker ChiliPrint
Slow cookers make preparing dinners like this chili a breeze and reduces the amount of added fat or oil.
- 8 ounces fresh crimini mushrooms
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef, crumbled
- 1 green pepper, finely chopped
- 1 red pepper, finely chopped
- 1 can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can diced tomatoes
- 1 can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place the mushrooms, onion and garlic in a food processor fitted with a metal blade. Pulse until finely chopped. Combine the mushroom mixture, ground beef, green pepper, red pepper and beans in a slow cooker.
- Stir the diced tomatoes with the tomato paste, chili powder, seasoning blend, cumin and salt until well combined. Pour the tomato mixture into the slow cooker. Cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 10 hours.
Garnish with cheddar cheese, sour cream, green onion and serve with tortilla chips or in a bread bowl for a fun and tasty dinner.
If you like this, try these:
Make better-tasting breakfast sausage from scratch by adding the nutrition and flavor of sauteed mushrooms with this recipe from Serena Ball, MS, RD.view Recipe
Hearty mushrooms are blended with ground pork to create an easy taco filling that mimics the flavors of traditional al pastor.view Recipe
These party meatballs stay juicy by using a blend of lamb and mushrooms. Inspired by the filling of dolmas, they are loaded with aromatic fresh herbs, and rice adds tenderness to each bite. The simple dipping sauce offers a tangy twist for an appetizer that is sure to disappear quickly!view Recipe